Friday 4 January 2013


PART TWO

 

BERLIN

                The bus trip from Baden Baden to Berlin was long, but much better than the hung over trip from Cologne to Baden Baden.  BERLIN WAS AMAZING!!!!!  I HAVE TO GO BACK.  Who is with me?

                Berlin meant back to a hostel, back to a room of snores, and a little sloppy in standards from the stories I heard from some of the other rooms, but it was nothing compared to what would come in a few days.

                My impression of Berlin was of a very historical city.  It did not feel very big, and was easily accessible.  Unfortunately many photos are from strange angles due to construction/ preparations for New Years.  Most of us decided to do the optional “Third Reich” walking tour.  It was long, a lot of information, and a lot of walking.  But it was worth it, even if we all did freeze.  Five of us went and got food after and did some touristy shopping. 

                That night I was super tired and was going to be a Nana and have an early night, but then I was convinced to go out.  I’m glad I did.  It was one of the best nights out I had had in a LOOOOOOONG time.  Good old 90s music always makes for a good night, and there was no mixing of drinks.  I can’t say the same for a few others who did not look too flash the next morning.

 

AMSTERDAM

                Amsterdam....  What can I say about you?  My first impression was of a dirty city.  I don’t think I was wrong with this, especially after seeing the hostel, however, it is a very walkable city to move around in, just watch out for the bikes.  They seem to have right of way, even over pedestrians.  Before we even made it to the city we went to a small farm where they make cheese and clogs.  It was quite interesting hearing how they make their wares.  Unfortunately I could bring neither the cheese, nor the clogs back to New Zealand due to customs regulations.  Such a pity.

                That night we had a walking tour through the Red Light District.  Wow.  It was an eye opener, that is for sure.  So many coffee shops, prostitutes, and live sex shows. 

                The next day was another free day, full of activity.  Four of us, well the three Canadia and the Kiwi, made our way to the Anne Frank museum.  The line stretched around the corner and just past the church when we arrived.  It took about an hour of waiting in line to get inside.  It was fascinating hearing about her experiences.  When we got out, the line stretched right to the end of the block.  We then made our way to the infamous Sex Museum.  Photos were of course taken standing by the huge penis.  And I sat down on the seat in between the two giant cocks.  Not the best idea.  I shot up like a rocket.

                That night was another night out.  We went to a Chinese restaurant on the canal, then onto a boat for a boat boose cruise.  This did not end well for some, but I paced myself and did not stay out much longer than that.  I did have the traditional hot chips on the way home.

 

 

PARIS

                The great Paris, such a romantic city you are!  But not a nice city.  You seemed just as dirty as Amsterdam.  What I would to do to be back in Germany somewhere.  But I was glad to be back in a hotel.  On our bus tour out, the Three Canadia and two Kiwis, and an Aussie, ditched the group and went to the Eiffel Tower.  Such a beautiful experience, and lots of photos were taken.  It was a beautiful night too.  It took about 50 minutes to get to the head of the line to go up the stairs.  I suggest you do take the stairs, as it is more of an experience and you can go at your own pace.  The top deck was awesome.  Standing still you can feel the tower swaying.

                The next morning allowed us to have an almost free day, but to be at the Charlemagne statue at the Notre Dame by 2:50 to get ready to head to lunch/ dinner.  I went to the Louvre in the morning, and I’m glad I went to the Eiffel tower last night, as I had much more time to wander around the Louvre.  I saw the Mona Liza, and lots of Creek antiquities.  Many of the vases I actually recognised!  Francois Vase is HUGE.  I had frogs’ legs, which tasted like chicken but had the texture of fish, not too nice.  Then lamb, which was awful and definitely not kiwi lamb, and then crème brulee for dessert, which was the best food of the night.  Then it was time to get our drink on and party for New Years.  Party along the Champs-Elysees, in the rain.  But we saw the Eiffel Tower sparkle to welcome in the New Year.  Then it was time to go home, get dry and SLEEP, ready to be shipped off back to London in the morning.

 

Getting back to the UK, we were making very good time and were going to be back in London at around 4pm.  Then Karma hit us.  The oil tank EXPLODED.  We were stuck on the side of the road for about 2 hours while another bus came to pick us up.  We got back to London at about 6pm instead.  The drive from Dover to London was the best weather of the whole trip....  Typical.

 

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time on this tour.  It was absolutely amazing and I would recommend it to anyone, especially those over in Europe who are alone for Christmas.  I met some new and interesting people.  I was surprised that the Australians were not the ones who were hassling us New Zealanders on the trip (well, more me), but it was the CANADIANS who were!  It was all in good fun.  Think about how you say “bear, beer, bare” and “deck”, “six” and “sex”.

 

To end:  I AM SO OVER PORK!!!!  And a big thank you to Michele, Driver Brian, and the Topdeck Team of the Festive Escape 2012.  You are all sweet as.

 

Mum:  please bring my jandals to the airport, and have a yummy bowl of stirfry ready for me when I get back?  I miss healthy food.  Thank you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so fun!! Can't wait for photos (especially of the sex museum)! =D

    ReplyDelete