Monday 14 January 2013

SNOW!!


SNOW!  SNOW!  SNOW!  And then it froze.  This proved to be a tricky hazard getting to the train station this morning.  There were many close calls with slipping and skidding on the frozen snow.  But still, it snowed!  I have a few photos of Luxembourg in the snow from my wanders.


I had no reason to go to Luxembourg, except I’ve always wanted to visit.  I don’t know what it was about it, but I just had to go.  I think it’s because I just like to say the name.  Luxembourg.  Say it!  Luxembourg.  It sounds so interesting and mystical.  And the city was, especially after it snowed.  It wasn’t supposed to snow either, instead just rain.  It was a shock when I walked out on the second morning to the snow.  And then I smiled and could hardly contain my excitement.  I must have looked like a doofus with my glee, and stopping every hundred metres for a new photo.

Luxembourgers are a strange folk.  They speak Luxembourgish, most media is in German, and French is extremely common.  All three are official languages and are taught in schools – German for literature, French for mathematics.  As a nation they are patriotic about their uniqueness, they did not want to join the German Reich, or be subsumed by the French, so a propaganda campaign was launched when Luxembourg was still a fledgling country.  Also, most shops and hotels will speak French.  Never go into a French bakery wanting their food, and ask if they speak English.  A few moments after an awkward silence, the shop assistance finally said “a little” and had a sale! 

Again, like in Ghent, there was not much to do in Luxembourg.  It’s one of those historical cities that are not too full of tourists, so it was peaceful, and catered more for the citizens/ workers/ EU institutions and especially for the upper classes, if you ever walk around the main shopping centre.  There were all these boutiques and expensive stores like Louis Viutton, Boss and the likes.  The middle classes tend to go abroad to do their shopping now.  On the way there from the hotel, you will walk past the Statue of Freedom.  This was originally to commemorate the fallen soldiers in the resistance against the Germans in World War One.  It was thus dismantled by the Nazis during occupation.

A few musts to do while in Luxembourg are to do the city walk.  I only did part of it, because I had inadvertently already done half of it on the first full day wandering the city, trying to find the Grand Ducal Palace.  You have to go down to the Pancur Valley and just take in the beauty.  It was strange having such a green valley in the middle of the city.  Also, Luxembourgers like to run, even in -2 (real feel -6) degree weather.  That was a shock to the system, I don’t think I could ever be that game. 

The other attraction to visit would have to be the City of Luxembourg History Museum.  I spent a couple of hours, right up until almost closing time, just going through the different exhibits.  It was well worth it, even more so since I did not have to pay.  I suggest students take their student Ids, you get in for free!  (I really am from Dunedin....)
 
Luxembourg was a fantastic little city, and I will come back, just to have a holiday from my holiday, but a week today, I shall be on my way home!  I cannot wait to see the sun again, so it had better be sunny when I return.  And of course, I’m missing everyone as well.  See you soon.

 

Ps.  YAY!  PHOTOS!  Well, there would have been, but the internet at the hotel in Salzburg is crap.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD it really is only a week!!! Yayyyyy! Can't wait to see you, make the most of your last week (I want plenty of crazy stories)!

    ReplyDelete